Leander ISD follows the guidance and expertise of national and local health officials to help protect our students and staff from all communicable diseases. The district is aware that The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is monitoring an outbreak of respiratory illness (COVID-19) caused by a novel (new) coronavirus. Families are encouraged to visit the CDC website for more information and travel guidance regarding the Coronavirus.
- Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Situation Summary
- CDC Considerations for School Closures
- Facts about COVID-19
Local Public Health
- Austin Public Health
- Williamson County Health Department
- Texas Commission on Health and Human Services
As a reminder, the CDC always recommends everyday preventive actions to help prevent the spread of respiratory viruses, including:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
We are committed to providing regular updates regarding our response to the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) global pandemic. Please find all of our updates on our news site.
- Update #17: LISD extends facility closure until at least May 4, details Phase 2 of the remote learning planAll LISD events and travel are canceled through the end of April and district buildings will remain closed until at least May 4, 2020, after the executive order issued by Governor Greg Abbott. The district will continue to provide instruction and operate remotely during this time.
- Update #16: Board approves changes to remote working, grading policies as district responds to COVID-19 pandemicThis update is a part of our ongoing response to the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) global pandemic. As this situation continues to change daily, the contents of this article may be outdated. Please visit our COVID-19 webpage for the most up-to-date information. Learning will continue even as our buildings remain closed as Leander ISD responds to […]
- Dedicated Child Nutrition Services staff are serving meals to needy students at four Leander ISD schools, Monday thru Friday. Students can pick up a lunch and a breakfast for the next day from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at Bagdad, Reed, and River Place elementary schools and Running Brushy Middle School.
- Update #15: Board to consider grading policy Tuesday; Phase 2 distance learning plan to come April 1Updates to grading, grade-point average (GPA) and class rank could be coming after a special called Board of Trustees meeting this Tuesday, March 31.
- We will be announcing our Remote Learning Phase 2 on April 1, 2020. In order to add clarity and connect with our students, families, teachers and staff, Superintendent Bruce Gearing will host our second episode of “Let’s Talk, Learn and Have Fun with Bruce and Friends” at 4:30 p.m. on Facebook Live. We will share […]
- Update #14 – District to Continue Suspension of Normal School Operations Through April 13, Move to Phase 2 of Building Closure PlanLeander ISD will continue to suspend normal school operations through April 13, aligning with the Travis and Williamson county shelter-in-place orders. We are taking this action to support the global effort to reduce the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19).
- Update #13: Board Briefs – Trustees Discuss Next Steps for COVID-19 Response, Approve Teaching Materials, Food Service ContractWhat comes next? The Leander ISD Board of Trustees discussed the district’s next steps for responding to the coronavirus global pandemic as the number of confirmed cases across the United States continues to grow. Travis and Williamson counties are under shelter-in-place orders through April 13.
- Teachers across Leander ISD are reconnecting with students and families today as we continue our operations outside of our schools. With our focus being on relationships, we want to reconnect with our families too. Superintendent of School Bruce Gearing will be LIVE on Facebook to chat, talk to members of our leadership team, and take […]
- COVID-19 Update #12 – Parent Guide for Teaching and Learning at home; Counseling Services, Report Card and Progress Report Updates; Facebook Live Chat Wednesday at 4:30 p.m.Parent Guide for teaching and learning at home; counseling services, report card and progress report updates; Facebook Live chat Wednesday at 4:30 p.m.
- COVID-19 Update #11 – Foodservice continues at four LISD campuses amid shelter-in-place order for Travis/Williamson countiesThis is a regular update from Leander ISD on our response to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. This is an active and ongoing situation. For the most up-to-date information, please visit our COVID-19 webpage. District evaluating next steps during shelter-in-place order Travis and Williamson counties directed residents to shelter in place through April 13. As a […]
Child Nutrition Services (Breakfast and Lunch)
Between 11:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m., we are providing all students breakfast and hot lunch service at four locations:
- Bagdad Elementary School,
- Reed Elementary School,
- River Place Elementary School, and
- Running Brush Middle School.
All students can receive food. We serve a hot lunch and breakfast for the following day during the one meal distribution time as a convenience for our students and families.
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)– Child Nutrition Services
- Texas Mealfinder Website
- USDA Food and Nutritional Service Website
Week One Food Service
* On March 24 we served breakfast for March 24 and March 25. Source on Google Sheets.
Leander ISD remains committed to providing learning experiences that extend outside of our physical classrooms. We have access to platforms and technical infrastructure to deploy learning experiences in the case of a prolonged closure.
Phase 1 – Remote Learning Plan Before April 5
During the planned suspension of normal school operations through April 5, students will not submit assignments for graded work. We want students to take advantage of these learning opportunities so they are ready to learn new material and skills after the two-week period.
Our Special Programs team will be working with campuses to support the needs of all students.
Phase 2 – Remote Learning Plan After April 5
We are committed to keeping our school communities connected and thriving even as our school buildings remain closed. As we begin Phase 2 of the Leander ISD Remote Learning Plan, our goal is to provide on-going and purposeful student learning that strikes a balance between on-line and off-line learning activities. Teachers will begin to introduce new learning, incorporating projects, assignments, and activities. Learning experiences will be designed to be authentic and engaging, aligned to the TEKS and the LISD curriculum, emphasizing opportunities for interaction with teachers and fellow classmates.
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) – Testing and Grades
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) – Events and Academic Calendar
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) – Technology
- Phase 2 Parent Guide for Learning
- Teaching and Learning Parent Guide
- Video Meetings Guidance from Leander ISD
- Texas Education Agency
- College Board
- International Baccalaureate (IB)
- Austin Community College
- University of Texas
Teachers and Staff
Thanks to our Board of Trustees, we are proud to continue payroll for all full-and-part time employees while our buildings are closed. We are moving all operational functions to a remote capacity, with the exception of essential functions such as child nutrition services, custodial, and maintenance.
For the period between March 23 – April 3, all non-exempt or hourly employees who are working will receive premium pay, which is 1.5 their normal rate. All other hourly employees will receive their normal paycheck.
We will be announcing the plan for remote working after April 5 on April 1.
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) – Teachers and Staff
- Remote Work Protocol (English, Español)
- Teacher Hub Website (internal website)
- Technology Help Desk, 512-570-0566
- Technology Let’s Talk
- Benefits Let’s Talk
- Payroll Let’s Talk
- Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA or Act)
Health and Wellness
We know this is a stressful time for our community, especially our families and staff.
In coordination with our Counseling Services and Employee Benefits teams, we would like to share resources for mental health and wellness.
Health and Wellness Resources
- Student and Family Wellness
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) – Health
- Headspace – a free, online tool for meditation and mindfulness (For Staff, For Everyone)
- LISD Employees and dependents have access to remote counseling via our Employee Assistance Program (COVID-19 EAP Resources).
- Call 1-800-343-3822 to speak with an EAP Intake Counselor.
- Teen Line: 1-800-334-TEEN (8336).
- MDLive – Employees on our Leander ISD benefits plan have access to telemedicine for both physical and mental health support.
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas COVID-19 Resources
Talking to Your Child About COVID-19
These links are useful tools to aid parents in explaining the pandemic while offering age-specific coping strategies:
- COVID-19 Guide for Parents & Caregivers: National Child Traumatic Stress Network Includes ways to help children cope by age group (English, Spanish)
- Talking to Children About COVID-19 (NASP) Links to multiple languages including Spanish, Chinese and Korean available.
- Just for Kids: A Comic Exploring The New Coronavirus (NPR)
- How to Homeschool During the Coronavirus (Today Show)
Elementary School Students
We will be distributing Chromebook Laptops from April 7 – April 9. We are asking for families in need of an extra device to please come to one of our distribution sites next week.
Middle and High School Students
Note: Leander ISD offers a one-to-one laptop program for all students grades 6-12.
Teachers and Staff
We are working through principals and supervisors to identify staff who need computers or iPads to work remotely. We are prioritizing students in our distribution of devices. Our Technology Help Desk is open for staff having issues with their devices.
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) – Technology
- mLISD Information – One-to-One Laptops for Grades 6-12
- Elementary School Student Chromebook Distribution
- Technology Help Desk, 512-570-0566
- Technology Let’s Talk
All Leander ISD facilities are closed through May 4. We are restricting access to our buildings in order to reduce the spread of coronavirus and to support the efforts by our custodial team to deep clean all buildings. However, our leadership team is working on a planned and coordinated effort for teachers to retrieve items and for students to access their tools necessary for continued learning. More details will be shared next week.
Facilities Facilities Resources
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) – Facilities
We know open and regular communication is critical during our response to COVID-19. We have implemented several initiatives to support personal, dependable, and accurate communication that reaches as wide of an audience as possible, including:
- remote district call center (routing campus and district main phone lines into Let’s Talk);
- Remind premium access for all staff;
- regular updates (daily during Spring Break and Monday-Wednesday-Friday through April 3);
- Knowledge Base articles with information about our response, answers to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs);
- translated content on all district phone calls, text messages, and emails to Spanish;
- updated language tools on all websites for translations to 8+ languages; and
- live events on Facebook (shared on YouTube and through our podcast network).