The one-of-a-kind Class of 2020 graduation is nearly here, and we would like to provide our graduates and families an update regarding our ceremonies. It’s not the commencement ceremony we all wanted and envisioned, but we are excited to welcome our graduates and their families to a celebration that safely salutes our seniors. Health and safety continue you to be our top priorities.
Due to the recent guidance by Texas Governor Greg Abbott, we will need to limit attendance to our ceremonies to 100 people or less. As a result, we will be hosting a ceremony where graduates will:
- celebrate with their families,
- receive a diploma, and
- walk the stage at Gupton Stadium.
Dates and Times
Please note the windows for each graduation. Specific times and schedules for individual graduates and families will be shared by the individual campus.
Thursday, July 9
- Cedar Park High School: 8 a.m. – 12 p.m.
- Vandegrift High School: 6 p.m. – 10 p.m.
Friday, July 10
- Leander High School: 8 a.m. – 12 p.m.
- Rouse High School: 6 p.m. – 10 p.m.
Saturday, July 11
- Vista Ridge High School: 8 a.m. – 12 p.m.
- Glenn High School: 6 p.m. – 10 p.m.
Procedures before the ceremony
Due to the updated procedures for graduation, you will not need to pick up tickets ahead of time. Each campus will send additional details about their special day, so the graduate and their family will know exactly what to expect during the ceremony.
- Everyone entering the stadium must have a mask or face covering.
- Due to the hot weather, please wear comfortable clothes and remember that high heels are not allowed on the field.
- Each graduate is allowed to bring up to 8 guests in up to 2 vehicles.
- All participating graduates and attending family members are required to self-screen for any new or worsening signs or symptoms of COVID-19 (see below). This must be done prior to attending a Leander ISD graduation ceremony.
- Please decide in advance which family member will present the diploma cover to your graduate, as well as who will flip their tassel.
Procedures for your arrival
- Gates to the parking lots will open 1 hr before each ceremony. The entrance into the stadium will begin 30 minutes prior to the start of each ceremony.
- You will enter Gupton Stadium using S. Vista Ridge Blvd or E. Park St. The entrance off Gupton Way will be for support staff only. There will be no designated parking areas; however, please be advised that everyone will enter the stadium through the main entrance on the home side and exit the stadium on the south end of the visitor side.
- Be sure to include a sign on both vehicles that prominently displays the graduate’s name and time slot.
- The graduate and their guests must enter the stadium as a group and remain as a group until you have exited the stadium. Please follow the marked spaces along the route to the field to ensure social distancing.
- Promptness is key to minimizing crowds. Don’t be too early. Don’t be late.
Stage walk and diploma presentation
- Masks or face-coverings must be worn by all participants at all times.
- A staff member will help the graduate and the two guests selected to line up to cross the stage.
- Family members that are not presenting the diploma will observe the ceremony from the front of the stage.
- After crossing the stage, graduates and guests will have an option to take professional photos before exiting and returning to your vehicle.
Procedure for exiting the stadium
- As you exit the stadium, your graduate will pick up his or her diploma and graduation programs.
- Upon returning to your vehicles, please leave the parking lot immediately.
Graduation Produced Video
The district will produce a video commemorating each graduation celebration, including recorded speeches and other elements for graduates and families to enjoy.
All participating graduates and attending family members are required to self-screen for any of the following new or worsening signs or symptoms of possible COVID-19. This must be done prior to attending a Leander ISD graduation ceremony,
Please answer ALL below questions, ALL answers must be “NO” to attend:
1. Have you have recently had any contact with anyone that is/has tested positive for COVID-19?
2. Do you have a new or worsening cough or shortening of breath/difficulty breathing?
3. Do you currently have a fever or have had one in the past 72 hours? (greater than 100 degrees Fahrenheit)
4. Do you have 2 or more of the following:
- Feeling feverish or a measured temperature greater than or equal to 100.0 degrees Fahrenheit
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Chills or repeated shaking with chills
- Muscle pain
- Sore throat
- Loss of taste or smell
- Known close contact with a person who is lab-confirmed to have COVID-19 if exposure to the active confirmed case occurred within the last 14 days
Those who answer “YES” to any of these signs or symptoms must exclude themselves from the ceremony. By attending this ceremony, you are attesting that you confidently answered “NO” to ALL of the above questions and have a very low risk of carrying or spreading COVID-19.
Hand Sanitizer & Gloves
Leander ISD will provide hand sanitizer at each entrance and in key areas throughout the stadium. District and campus support staff will wear gloves when the duties involve touching or handling anything to graduates and guests. The stadium will be disinfected between ceremonies.
Guest Recommended Attire
Dress comfortably and appropriately for the temperature and humidity and remember that high heels are not allowed on the field.
Graduate Recommended Attire
Graduates are required to bring their cap, gown, and mask with them to the ceremony. Heels and wedge shoes are not allowed on the turf field. Graduates are encouraged to not bring any belongings with them other than their cap, gown, and mask. Caps may be decorated on top only. Any images or messages should be appropriate and fall within the Leander ISD Student Code of Conduct. All graduates will be checked to ensure compliance with the graduation attire requirements.
Photo Texas Photography will be on-site for all graduation ceremonies. After crossing the stage, graduates and guests will have an option to take professional photos before exiting and returning to your vehicle.