Leander ISD is committed to safeguarding the physical and emotional well-being of our students, including harmful online trends. Recently, an online trend called the Momo Challenge has been circulating among students across the nation. According to recent news reports, the Momo Challenge is generally considered to be an online hoax or urban legend spread through social media.
There is no evidence that students in Leander ISD are engaging in self-harm as a result of this game. To protect our students, Leander ISD has blocked searches for “Momo” on mLISD devices. We encourage parents and guardians to be vigilant about their children’s activity online.
Here are several ways to protect their health and cybersecurity.
- Consider age appropriateness for children’s use of technology, and remind your family of expectations for making positive choices online.
- Be aware of online trends, which can develop and change quickly.
- Speak with your student about the danger of spreading rumors and hoaxes online.
- Engage in conversations about safe technology use.
- Remind students they should never respond to unidentified messages on social media, share personal data, photographs or phone numbers on the internet.
If you have additional questions, please contact your campus counselor or administrator.