District to welcome more students for in-person learning
Students in three additional grade-levels, those receiving dyslexia services, or children of substitute teachers will all have the opportunity to return to in-person learning Sept. 21 as the district enters Phase 2 of our Launch to Learning plan. Our approach has been to re-open slowly and steadily. Now that campuses are open, we want them to stay open. All students will continue to have the option to remain in Virtual Empowered Learning for the entire school year.
Thoughtful planning went into how we decided to re-open. Here are the details of the events and considerations.
Health and Safety – Response and Protocols
The health and safety of our students and staff is our top priority. We have outlined clear protocols for screening and supporting our students and staff as well as communicating campus responses if any student or staff member shows symptoms of COVID-19. Campus leaders will be working with their staff to ensure the implementation of these guidelines throughout the school year.
COVID-19 Health Response Handbook updates 9/17/2020
Manual de Respuesta de Salud Ante COVID-19 actualizado 9/17/2020
Early Childhood Health and Safety Protocols added 9/8/2020
Protocolos de salud y seguridad para las clases de infancia temprana
Before Returning to Your Campus, Verify Your Health and the Health of Your Student
Daily self-screening for infections will be critical to minimizing viral spread for in-person school. Your school will have a form for self-screening. As a reminder, symptoms for COVID-19 include at least one of the following:
- sore throat,
- shortness of breath,
- difficulty breathing,
- new cough,
- the new loss of taste/smell,
- diarrhea/vomiting/abdominal pain,
- and new headache.
If you or your student are symptomatic, please stay home. Here are our protocols for students who become symptomatic while in school.
Virtual Learning Security Improvements
Student and staff safety and security is our primary priority. We recognize that there have been recent virtual classrooms that have been compromised in our district as well as school districts around the nation. Due to this threat, we are adding layers of security when our students enter the virtual classrooms through Zoom. We began implementing enhancements last Friday and will continue to add further enhancements in the coming weeks. Click here for additional information.
A Peek Into In-Person Learning
Launch to In-Person Learning for Elementary Students
Launch to In-Person Learning for Secondary Students
Automated Attendance Notifications Start for ALL Students on Sept. 8
We will be turning on our automated attendance notifications for all students, including in-person and virtual, on Sept. 8. As with other Leander ISD messaging, we will send the attendance notification through Remind. To adjust your notification settings, please read this article about the district’s messaging system, Remind.
Bus Route Information and Notifications
Bus route information for eligible 2020–21 bus transportation is now available in TransFinder. Please check this site routinely over the first few weeks of school for routing updates.
The Transportation Department will be using the Remind platform to communicate delay notifications and other important updates. Beginning Tuesday, Sept. 8, all eligible bus riders – not just those in the phase-in plan – and their guardians will be added to a Remind “class” for their assigned bus route.
Please see this help article on removing yourself from this Remind class if you do not wish to receive transportation notifications. This article has information on setting your notification preferences, allowing you to receive a Remind message as a text, an email, or both.
You can find details on social distancing and sanitization on buses in our Health Response Handbook.
Notifications of Positive COVID Cases
With students returning to in-person learning, we will be notifying all families and staff of positive cases on your campus or in your building. If you or your student came into contact with the person with COVID, either your campus COVID team (for students or visitors) or human resources (for staff) will contact you directly and coordinate the next steps between you and the county health department. The county health department will be determining whether or not there is a need to quarantine. We will be coordinating with staff to work from home when possible (including teachers) during quarantines. Students will have the option to continue virtual learning during a quarantine.
Elementary Students Bring District-Issued Devices on the First Day of In-person Learning
To prepare our elementary students for the upcoming phases of in-person learning, avoid using shared devices in our classrooms, and provide students the device aligned with our LISD classroom technology template, we want to give some guidance and instructions for technology use.
YMCA After-School Phase Two
YMCA after-school care will begin for students attending Phase Two of the in-person leaning on Monday, Sept. 21. We are offering this program at their home campuses. As we phase in, students will be allowed to participate in the Y Afterschool program if they are registered. The YMCA will provide care for PreK–fifth grade for those campuses with PreK students. YMCA care will be available for K–5 students at all other campuses.
Guides for Launch to Learning 2020-21
As we prepare to welcome students back to school, we believe in meeting the social, emotional and educational needs of our students no matter the
circumstances, while providing the highest quality educational experiences and offering a choice of a safe and healthy learning environment.
English PDF version | Spanish PDF version
Leander ISD will ensure that students with disabilities have access to a free and appropriate public education. To the greatest extent possible, each student will be provided the specialized instruction, support, and related services identified in the student’s RTI plan, individualized education program (IEP) or Section 504 plan.
English PDF version | Spanish PDF version
Watch more webinars from LISD
- July 22, 2020 – Virtual Empowered Learning Webinar
- July 22, 2020 – In-Person Services and Safety Webinar
- July 20, 2020 – Staff Webinar
Campus & Department Administrators & Supervisors
- Supervisor Protocols and Mitigation Measures
- Employee Protocol-COVID 19 (English, Español)
- COVID-19 Supervisor Protocol Zoom Meeting
Presentations and Report
- July 17, 2020, Board of Trustees Meeting
- July 9, 2020, Webinar for Middle and High School Families
- July 8, 2020, Webinar for Elementary Families
- July 8, 2020, Webinar for Teachers and Staff
- July 6, 2020 – July 15, 2020, Staff Survey Report
- June 27, 2020 – July 6, 2020, Families Survey Report
- June 25, 2020, Board of Trustees Meeting
- June 18, 2020, Board of Trustees Meeting
We are thankful for your patience during this stressful and uncertain time for you and your family and as always appreciate your feedback. If you have additional questions, please feel free to click the box below.
- In an effort to increase digital security during classroom meetings, Leander ISD is moving to a Zoom licensed account. The post Update on Zoom Upgrade appeared first on Leander ISD News.
- YMCA after-school care will begin on Tuesday, Sept. 8 for students attending Phase 1, in-person learning. The post YMCA After-School Phase 2, In-person Learning Students appeared first on Leander ISD News.
- LISD Reopens for In-Person Learning Through Phased Approach on Sept. 8 Families who chose in-person learning for their students will begin returning to school starting on Sept. 8. During this first phase, the following students will be able to return to on-campus instruction. Pre-K, Kindergarten, first, sixth, and ninth grades, students who receive special education […]
- To prepare for the upcoming phases of in-person learning, avoid the use of shared devices in our classrooms, and provide students the device aligned with our LISD classroom technology template, we wanted to provide some guidance and instructions regarding your child’s first day back for in-person learning regarding technology. Pre-K, Kinder, and 1st Grade students […]
- The district’s Launch to Learning plan for in-person learning takes shape and an update to the Leander ISD dress code was adopted at the Trustees’ regular meeting Thursday night. View the entire agenda here. Watch the video here. Trustees approve TEA waiver for phased-in approach to in-person learning beginning Sept. 8 With the health and […]